Here at 45 Gallon Drums, we like things that can be used for multiple purposes and our 45 Gallon Drums are a prime example. Both plastic and metal ones have their uses, some of which overlap.
- Fuel Storage – 45 Gallon Barrels make great storage containers for gasoline, but you do need to rotate the gas regularly Bulk Storage of Petrol and Diesel. The downside to them is the weight, they are hard to move in an emergency.
- Water Storage – I have used the plastic ones for water storage for many years with no problem.
- Cache – They can make good caches in which to bury or hide food and other preps.
- Food – I have used 45 Gallon barrels both metal and plastic to store various grains.
- Faraday Cage – Metal 45 Gallon drums can make an excellent Faraday cage, as long as you make sure you have good metal to metal contact at the lid.
- Cold Storage – Here is a link to a post showing a technique that was used in older times. KEEP FOOD COOL IN SUMMER
- Smoker – You can make all different types of smokers out of 45 Gallon barrels. Building a simple barrel smoker (see our full range here)
- Rain Collector
- Grill – Cut in half they can make great barbecue grills!
- Furniture – Drums can be turned into great pieces of furniture, take a look at our Drum furniture range >> drum.furniture
- Stove – You can use them to make an inexpensive wood stove.
- Compost Tumbler – They make a nice tumbler to turn your compost.
- Water Troughs – Cut in half they can make good watering or food troughs for feeding animals.
- Barricades – Filled with sand or rocks they can be used to block access to an area.
- Charcoal Retort – A simple retort system for making charcoal can be made from a couple of barrels.
As you can see, there are many uses for 45 Gallon Drums. Let us know if you make another use for your barrel!